University of Pittsburgh
Comment: "There is a lot of need for tutorial CALL."
What is tutorial CALL?
Language software that includes an "embedded teacher presence" – teaching agent – reponse mechanism
What tutorial programs are people using?
Hot Potatoes (http://web.uvic.ca/hrd/hotpot/index.htm):
- works with Blackboard
- Students can create exercises for one another.
- has feedback
- easy to use
- can include reading; can be used in a situated context
- can be run online or offline
- Students can email reponses to teacher.
Live Action English (TPR) http://www.speakware.com
Focus on Grammar http://www.exceller.com/focus-on-grammar.html
Dyned – Dynamic English http://www.dyned.com/dyned/eng/ende-short.html
English Mastery (Americana) http://www.ala-usa.com/english_mastery.htm
Perfect Copy (editing program) http://www.renlearn.com/perfectcopy/default.htm
Longman English Interactive http://www.longman.com/ae/multimedia/programs/lei.htm
"strong teacher presence;" available in the summer
Tense Buster http://www.clarity.com.hk/program/tensebuster.htm
TRACI Talk http://www.encomium.com (Check the catalog in pdf form)
TESOL CALL-IS Software List http://oregonstate.edu/dept/eli/softlist/
What are some good free tutorial programs? What makes them good?
Hot Potatoes -- students can create exercises
Good free materials on the Web:
Randall's ESL Cyber Listening Lab http://www.esl-lab.com/
- Administrators may not understand about language study; they may think that having paid for tutorial CALL has "solved the problem."
- Teachers may send students to the lab – they think it replaces them/does their job.
- Tutorial software can be used in communicative ways.
- Faculty training on effective use is important.
- The Electronic Village at TESOL has software to preview. Software is also available in the Exhibits area.
- It is sometimes necessary to "sell" other faculty on tutorial software.
- Have students articulate their reactions to the software.
- Bringing in an outside expert can help.
Last modified: October 15, 2009
Claire's home page